Philosophically Speaking . . . 42
Wolf Lord Drengr Offline
Administrator

Likes Given: 2
Philosophically Speaking . . . 42
We all know this:

And we all know that this "Ultimate Computer" that Deep Thought designed was:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkhCprqSpodyaShLv843b...zZZjMdYFyQ]

And over the ten million year program, the ultimate QUESTION was to be calculated by this super-computer . . . and the answer arrived at would be

Now, the question I have for you to discuss is this:
What do you think the Earth came up with? What is that ultimate question? What[i] is[/i] the meaning to life, the universe, and everything?

I, personally, believe that Douglas Adams arrived at the answer 42 because of this:
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMdY82GWR_Lv8vGbUHddm...4gh6DvTMkk]
The number of pips on a pair of dice is . . . 42. I believe Mr. Adams was saying that life . . . is a crapshoot. The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything . . . is that everything is random and nothing is certain.

My own view of the cosmos is not so chaotic.
But before I go and share my own views on the topic, I'm eager to hear what some others have to say about it. Be your own Deep Thought. What is the answer?

Wolf Lord Drengr
11-18-2011 10:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
The Mad Professor Offline
For SCIENCE!!!

Likes Given: 0
RE: Philosophically Speaking . . . 42
Well, on the quasi-religious side of things, the number 42 is the result of 7 (commonly associated with God) x 6 (commonly associated with Satan), possibly meaning that the meaning of life is derived from how we process and deal with the concepts of good vs evil. Knowing that Adams was a radical atheist, however, we can assume that this theory is less likely to be true than the IID turning a couple of missiles into a potted plant and a whale.

Mad science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" — Schlock Mercenary
11-19-2011 01:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Taeryn Leir Offline
Good Hearted Mercenary

Likes Given: 3
RE: Philosophically Speaking . . . 42
I'll lean in and admit that I like the 'crap shoot' concept. It appeals to me on a human level that anything could, would, and can happen. Add to this my inherent distrust of organized religion ( which, in my opinion, has killed more people than every war, famine, and plague combined) and I'll hail '42' as an answer for the masses!
11-24-2011 01:54 AM